As per the prediction of analysts, there is huge growth in enterprise mobile applications as there are lots of businesses, who are focusing on mobilizing their workforces to boost productivity, customer service, and business efficiency.
In the last one year, the surveys have suggested that real interest in a business mobility driven by employees and business lines, rather than IT departments. As the demand is growing rapidly than internal IT organization’s capacity to deliver them.
In this article, you will find some of the best practice tips from practitioners and some of the common mistakes that enterprise app developers should avoid while developing the app.
What are Enterprise Mobile Apps?
When it comes to talking about the Enterprise mobile applications, they are developed by companies to be used by employees, employees in the field like sales, delivery or maintenance personnel.
These types of applications are mainly developed for business partners as well like distributors, suppliers, retailers, advisors and maintenance providers. Not intended for customer use only, but these types of the app may impact customer service directly or indirectly.
Enterprise mobile applications main purpose is to enable all those people, who perform all the important tasks they need to digitally whereas away from the office through a mobile device. However, the main goal is to boost productivity, communication, access information, and automation. At the front-end applications are may not be native, web or browser-based or hybrid.
Mainly, there are three types of enterprise applications, including:
- First, consumer applications, which are mainly used for business purposes like Skype, etc.
- One extension of corporate systems e.g. sales, logistics, finance, messaging, HR to enable access from mobile devices.
- Corporate applications are mainly developed to meet a need for the mobile workforce. It is the emerging category of applications, which broader with corporate systems; however, are not simply replicating desktop service.
As per the Nicholas McQuire, VP, enterprise research, CCS insight, currently, there are 50% of applications that fall into the first category. Whereas the remaining 50% of applications are bespoke corporate apps, failing into the second category. CCS research also discovers that mobile access to back-end systems grew 40% in 2015.
Best Practice Tips for Enterprise Mobile Apps
Before you start with enterprise mobile apps development,
Get in touch With Stakeholders: Make sure that you create applications, which employees need, want, and will use. You can conduct stakeholder interviews and inductee feedback mechanisms.
IT Infrastructure: You can start a foundation and process, which facilitates the development and deployment of different enterprise mobile apps not just the ones demanded today.
Ponder to Develop Alternatives: There is no need for enterprise mobile apps to be native. In any case, if you do not have the skills, time or money to develop those native applications for all the devices that used by your employees, you can consider web or browser-based.
On Designing Enterprise Mobile Apps, Six Best Practice Tips:
- Simple Menu Navigation: The menus should be as simple as humanly possible. All services need to be justified their existence to decrease information overload.
- Clear-focused Content: Make sure that the purpose needs to remain simple yet obvious for the first-time user of the app.
- Keep Forms to Minimum: You can use application sensors like phone location services to reduce form filling and make the experience as natural and innate.
- Make Use of Phone Sensor Advances: like compass, Gyro, and GPS to make smart notifications to maximize advantages to customer and business.
- Fluid Layouts: You can develop UX with visually scalable components can be increased up to iPad/Desktop and down to our application.
- Optimize App Size: As you know that megabytes matter, so make sure that your application is not taking up too much space on the user’s phone. Optimize images and clean-up the app to remove unused resources before release.
Five Steps to Develop Sustainable Enterprise App Development and Delivery Excellence
- Make sure to optimize development and testing efforts by knowing deeply that which platforms to target, whether for internal or external deployment.
- Make sure that you precisely know which platforms to target for internal or external deployment so that you can optimize development and testing efforts.
- Across the leading platforms, you can do is employ consistent and reliable development practices. It will allow you consistent in look-and-feel of apps, reusability of code components, and easily programmed updates.
- Collaborate widely. As the app development team needs to incorporate coding, testing, graphical design and user experience skills to help apps to fulfill user’s requirements.
- You should constantly be tracking upcoming emerging technologies and maturing standards. As mobile technology advancing, developers should look for ways to ensure apps perform more effectively whether in terms of speed or features.
Common Mistakes to Avoid in Enterprise Mobile Apps
As per the Aqua, the same quality assurance problems that come-up with the time and for enterprise apps irrespective of the type of application, of development method.
- User Interface Inconsistency: Make sure that you do not fail to keep menu options, soft keys, button labels, etc. consistent and clear to company standards.
- Language Inconsistency and Spelling Errors: Plain lack of proofreading or spell checker. Multi-language apps often make translation errors or miss labels in original language.
- Hidden Features: Failure to alert the user to what is happening behind the scenes, whatever the motive, will be unpopular.
- Omission of privacy and/or data security policy: no excuses.
- Network Connection: App freezes or fails to notify the user when the network connection drops or the device switches network, e.g. from carrier to WIFI.
- Screen Orientation Alteration: At the time of changing images distort from portrait to landscape and vice-versa.
Above mentioned best practices tips will help you to develop an enterprise mobile application that gives positive impact on your business. However, you should also avoid some of the common mistakes while developing the app and make it successful.
If you have decided to develop an enterprise app for business, you can get in touch a professional enterprise mobile app development company that has a veteran team of mobile app developers.